Friday, February 11, 2011

Wakey wakey, have some tea!

So the coffee dyeing went fairly well. Definitively a way to destroy coffee. I also found my two value packs of british black tea I had bought just for dyeing a while ago. I am also no big fan of black tea, because it makes me feel quite weird. But the smell is very pleasant - I was just concerned that the vapours of so much tea would cause some insomnia but it seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

I found a recipe which said something like 8 tea bags for 5l, which would dye 100 g of yarn and I was surprised, checked my tea pack and realized I could have dyed 1kg of yarn with those 80 tea bags which were in it. I re-checked the reicpe and it said it would become some kind of beige, so I decided to make some experiments on my own.
First I used 10 bags, and that gave some quite dark beige, bright brown. Then I used the same dyebath again, put in new fiber and another 20 bags and reached a nice caramel brown. In the end, it put in the rest of the 50 bags and put in more silk and wool/silk blend and got some dark copper.



I like the colors, and it is really easy peasy with the tea bags, no filtering neccessary and no dirty fibers (as long as no tea bags burst open). And very nice colors for a low price.

3 Kommentare:

Weird said...

Super schön! Mit Kaffeefärbung trage ich mich gedanklich auch schon länger (diesmal warst du schneller *G*), aber die Teefärbung finde ich fast noch besser. Hast du die Fasern vorher gebeizt?

Liebe Grüße,
Weird

CheshireCat said...

Na endlich war ich mal schneller, das war ja schon ein bisschen frustrierend ;)
Ich hab sie nur in Essigwasser eingelegt. Das Tannin im Tee soll ja auch als Beize wirken.

Tugendfurie said...

Schön!! Find ich auch toller als die Kaffee-Färbung. Hab von ner Freundin noch 500g losen schwarzen Tee hier liegen. Vielleicht wäre das ja auch was für mich...

Liebe Grüße,
FP